Step 4.

Apply for your visa

You’ll need a student visa if you’re coming to New Zealand to study for more

than three months. Visit Immigration NZ to check your eligibility and start

your online application.

Which visa would be right for you?

New Zealand has a range of visas that allow you to go to school, take a course or do other training.

Visa types


If you want to study full-time in New Zealand for more than three months, you’ll need a student visa.

Depending on your visa conditions, you may be able to work up to 20 hours a week during the term and full-time over the holidays.


If you want to take a short course of study while you’re in New Zealand, a visitor visa may be the best choice of visa for you.

A visitor visa allows you to take one or more courses lasting up to three months in total. While you’re here, you can enjoy New Zealand’s stunning scenery, vibrant cities and friendly people.

Pathway student visa

If you plan to study more than one course in New Zealand, the pathway student visa may be the only visa you need.

The pathway student visa allows you to study up to three consecutive courses for up to five years with one or more qualifying education providers. For example, you could take an English language course, followed by foundation studies, then a degree programme – all on the one visa.

Post study work visa

If you want to stay in New Zealand to get some practical work experience after you’ve completed your qualification, you can apply for a post-study work visa.

You can work for any employer for up to one year on a post-study work visa (open).

You can apply for a two year post-study work visa (employer assisted), if you have an offer of full-time work in the same area as your qualification.

Student visa requirements

You can see a full list of student visa requirements and apply for your visa online at the Immigration New Zealand website. As a guide, you’ll usually need to provide the following documents with your student visa application:

  • An offer of place from an approved education provider
  • Evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees
  • Your passport and acceptable passport-style photo(s)
  • Proof of funds – $15,000 per year, to cover your living expenses
  • A copy of your air ticket home, or proof that you have enough money to buy one
  • An accommodation guarantee, if you’re under 18
  • Your visa application fee
  • You may also be asked to provide a medical certificate and chest x-ray, and a police certificate.

Most visitor, student and work visas take 20-25 working days to process, but can take longer if more information is needed.